Twitter

Instagram

Instagram

Friday, December 19, 2008

Warm Ewe Up Swap Questionnaire

This is my first swap, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Yarn Swap Q&A

Do you knit or crochet, or both? How long have you been at the craft?
I knit, and I don’t crochet.
I first started knitting as a teenager, many moons ago (self taught). I dropped it while in college and went back to it in the eighties, when I was a busy career woman and mother, and I used it as a way to de-stress. Dropped it again until last year when I discovered an old knitting project (a UFO) that got misplaced during our move to Los Angeles 16 years ago. So I decided to pick it up again. Now I’m knitting all the time. So maybe 8 years, spread out over 30 plus years.

Do you spin?
No

What yarns/fibers are your favorites?
Love the hand painted, hand dyed yarns with their gorgeous and unique colors. (see my Ravelry stash). Like Koigu, Smooshy, Lorna’s Laces. Noro. Also like the soft ones. I prefer natural fibers: wool or mostly wool, alpaca, silk, cashmere. Good plain wool for felting.
I’m afraid I have developed some expensive tastes!

What yarns/fibers do you not like?
Not so much fond of acrylics. Don’t really like to knit with cotton, although I have used it and it turned out fine. It’s just less pleasant to work with.

What yarns/fibers would you like to try but haven’t?
Stuff I’ve heard about, on blogs or podcasts:
Wollemeise, Malabrigo, Hand Maiden Casbah

What are your favorite colors? Colors that you don’t like?

Like: Blues, Reds, grays, neutrals, especially heathers and tweeds. Autumn colors, deep jewel tones.
Dislike: Pink, purple, bright green, bright orange, bright yellow.


What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet?
Socks, scarves, sweaters, felted bags.
(My Ravelry Queue and Projects page will give you a good idea)

What are you currently working on?
Socks in Koigu, a lace shawl in a mohair blend, a Noro striped scarf

What is your favorite FO? (Please post a picture if you have one.)
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/goodstuff/school-colors-for-baby
I made a huge afghan for my son and daughter-in-law, as a housewarming gift. It was a ton of work, took forever, but turned out great.

These are pix of the afghan.









Are there any techniques that you want to learn?
Being self-taught, I figure that I will eventually teach myself the things I want to know, but having said that, I’d like to learn intarsia and fair-isle knitting. Maybe some additional cast-ons, since I only use one cast-on for everything.

Do you have a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope.

How do you store your needles/hooks?
I use mostly circulars now, and I keep them in my knitting basket, by my seat in the family room. I have several of the Knitpicks Options and Harmony (interchangeable needles).
The straight needles are in a bag off in the corner of the family room. Note, I use 2 circs for socks; I don't use DPNs.

Do you collect anything?
I collect egg cups, mostly hand painted, that I pick up on my travels. Also hand painted plates that I put up on the wall (above the top of the kitchen cabinets).

Do you like sweets?
My favorite would be dark chocolate preferably imported (mainly because the ingredients tend to more real and natural). Fruity type candy is good too if there are real fruit ingredients, not all artificial chemicals. Coffee flavored is good too. Caramels, mints – not so much.

What are your favorite scents?
I love scents! My faves would be fruity, citrus-y ones. But I also like classic ones. Lavender is also a big favorite. Just nothing too cloyingly sweet.

Are you having a birthday during this swap?
Yes, March 1st.

Do you have any online wish lists? (Amazon, Loopy Ewe, etc.) Please include a link for your pal.
Yes I do. Here they are.
wishlist2

What is your living situation (Are you married? Do you have kids, pets, or both?)
I’m married, and have a grown-up married son. No pets.

Are you allergic to anything?
Nope.

Is there anything else that you would like your pal to know?
I am a big coffee drinker. I don’t drink soft drinks, just coffee throughout the day. I prefer rich full-bodied coffee, but don’t like flavored coffees. I hardly ever drink tea.




No comments:

Post a Comment