Twitter

Instagram

Instagram

Friday, December 11, 2015

Meet Clare Devine!

Today I'm happy to introduce the lovely Clare Devine, a wonderful designer with a gorgeous new hat collection called the Tea Collection. She is one of the many designers participating the Indie GiftALong for 2015.  She has a beautiful blog too.
Flexor by Clare Devine
Chamomile by Clare Devine
Lapsang by Clare Devine


Here is my interview with Clare.



What is your favorite part of the design process?



I love dreaming up ideas and choosing yarn – there is nothing that beats the creative frenzy of being in a yarn shop with a new design idea and weighing up all the possible options. I also really enjoy putting the pattern together, crunching the numbers and making sure the pattern is as clear as it can be.



What items do you most like to knit, wear and design?



I really enjoy knitting a range of things. This year I have been on a garment kick when it comes to personal knitting. I wanted some really great hand made pieces in my wardrobe and so far have knitted a new tank top, a sweater and a cardigan. Given how much work knitting I do this is not bad going.  I also love to knit socks and hats, they are also some of my favourite items to wear in the colder months. I don’t do cold well so cold feet or ears are out of the question.


In the warmer months I really love shawls and plan on making some beautiful linen shawls in the coming months for my new sunny home in the Southern Hemisphere.



Tell me about your favourite yarns. Fibres, blends, brands, colours, processing, origin ….



This really depends on what I am making. I used to be about the soft yarn (I think many newer knitters are) but these days I love thinking about different breeds and how they might work with stitch patterns or how they might wear over time. Through my design work I have been experimenting with lots of different fibres – this is one of my favourite parts of working in the fibre industry, it is my job to experiment with amazing yarn.  I have a real soft spot for linen too! It is not always the kindest fibre on my wrists but I love the fabric it creates. Perfect for my tendency to prefer hot summer days over cold winter mornings.



What is your most used knitting tool or accessory?



The humble lockable stitch marker. I love them and almost always have one attached to the belt loops on my jeans – you never know when you might need one. They are incredibly handy. Perfect for marking stitch repeats, marking rows or a specific point in a pattern and catching dropped stitches etc.



What have you got on your needles at the moment?



I have a few things on the needles for me at the moment. The Aoraki hat from Libby Jonson and I plan to cast on a Pinglewin from Anna Maltz for my little girl. There are so many amazing patterns out there at the moment. One that I really love and hope to be casting on soon is Sailing by Meg Gadsbey / AtelierMeg




You can find me on the web in these spots … Blog at www.yarnandpointysticks.com 



Get a lovely free pattern on Newsletter sign up .


On Ravelry as ClareDevine




No comments:

Post a Comment